Odors have the following characteristics:
- They are volatile. Odor is an effect and a gas; therefore, it must evaporate at normal temperatures and atmospheric pressures so that it can be transported through the air to a person’s nose.
- Odor must be water soluble because it’s molecules must pass through the mucus of the nasal cavity.
Since it is a gas, it must have a transport system; in order to detect it.
For a substance to have a detectable odor, it must have the following:
Odor Control and Treatment
- Humidity ( Moisture - High humidity raise the smell level )
- Temperature ( Higher temperature intensifies odor )
- Volatility - How fast does it evaporate
- Penetration into the structure
Masking - Provide temporary solution until problem can be dealt with ( Deodorizing )
Modification - a chemical which changes the molecular structure of the odor
- Pairing Agents - a chemical which combines with the odor molecule which transforms odor into a
- Oxidation - Breaking down organic material that causes odor by adding oxygen
- Bonding/Encapsulating Agents - Bin to odor and hold in suspension
- Vapor Phase - Diffusion breath a penetrating dry vapor into the air
- Biocides/Disinfectants - used to treat odors associated with microorganisms
- Digesters - Enzyme Treatments ( Decaying matter - ( urine, meat, fish ,milk, blood )
- Sealing - Locking In molecules , preventing evaporation ( wood, concrete, duct work, etc. )
Depending on type of smell and severity of the problem, it may be required that the occupants leave the area that is being treated for a period of time. Safety must always be a primary concern during treatment. If you have any questions, please contact Green solution Building Services.
Green Solution Building Services is a full service cleaning operation using environmentally safe, Green Seal and/or Organic cleaning products to make your facility shine.